WiBSD main features
- WiBSD runs from memory, and boots from read-only mounted
- contains many commands from the default FreeBSD
installation; you can see the configuration file for the 1.x
- system has a very small memory/disk footprint (but since
we have root filesystem in memory, WiBSD needs at least 64M
RAM). WiBSD can run directly above the disk/flashcard, but
it's no longer a useful configuration for us since remote
upgrade is then complicated.
- it's therefore very easily and safely remotely
upgradable via cisco-like aproach
- all the configuration is managed from one place only. We
/etc/rc.conf, which is linked to a
file located on writable media.
/etc/defaults/wibsd.conf to see
how many things you can configure there; this file is
self-documented and contains reasonable defaults whereever
applicable. See the real
- you can log as admin to easily perform an initial
configuration (IP address and default gateway). You may use
it if you have just some remote hands on the other side.
- WiBSD contains nice IPFW firewall system, configurable
/etc/rc.conf, of course. See
fw_* variables in
- safe reboot plugin checks the system before it's actually
rebooted. In case of any problem, reboot is refused (you can
of course overide it; use "-f" option if you need it).
- no web interface so far, only SSH. This system is
designed for admins only.
- some 3rd party software is included - bash, iftop, isc-dhcp3-server, Links, NetSNMP, nmap, OpenVPN, PoPToP (PPTP server), thttpd, ttcp and ViM.
home | contact | legal | ©
2003-2005 The WiBSD Project. All rights reserved.